By Clive Riddle, March 24, 2017
You want more people to read everything you have to say about whichever side of the wall you’re on in the great repeal and replace debate. Or you just want to know what trendy term to search on so you can read what everyone else is saying on the subject. What hashtag to use…what hashtag to use?
We compiled a list of the hashtags surrounding the debate and had them analyzed using keyhole.co, which tracks twitter usage during the past 36 hours or so. As of noon Eastern time today, here’s what we found for twenty one selected hashtags that had surfaced the most during our research, presented in alphabetical order:
· #aca 705 posts | 2,191,075 reach
· #ahca 405 posts | 18,106,544 reach
· #BecauseOfMedicaid 500 posts | 302,037 reach
· #coveragematters 272 posts | 448,981 reach
· #fullrepeal 50 posts | 1,400,049 reach
· #healthcarebill 94 posts | 4,154,646 reach
· #healthcarereform 595 posts | 4,472,503 reach
· #IfILoseCoverage 391 posts | 1,232,293 reach
· #killthebill 729 posts | 2,153,734 reach
· #MakeAmericaSickAgain 703 posts | 935,553 reach
· #NoRepealWithoutReplace 31 posts | 28,318 reach
· #obamacare 85 posts | 43,583,728 reach
· #passthebill 704 posts | 48,210,419 reach
· #ProtectOurCare 707 posts | 2,217,826
· #readthebill 589 posts | 1,871,228 reach
· #RepealAndReplace 706 posts | 44,990,188 reach
· #ryancare 706 posts | 2,365,314 reach
· #saveaca 705 posts | 2,234,518 reach
· #SaveMedicaid 43 posts | 124,503 reach
· #SaveTheACA 711 posts | 2,061,039 reach
· #trumpcare 736 posts | 1,741,593 reach
The number of posts vs reach reflects the number of tweeters vs the number of tweetees. One tweet from @realDonaldTrump of course goes a long ways in reach.
The top ten hashtags in order of posts during this period were: #trumpcare, #killthebill, #savetheaca, #protectourcare, #repealandreplace, #ryancare, #aca, #saveaca, #passthebill, #makeamericasickagain. These were the only hashtags with 700+ posts, with a range of 703-736, so all are being used with similar frequency, and usage of other hashtags in this genre really drop off after these top ten.
With regard to reach, #passthebill, #repealandreplace, and #obamacare were the top three, each exceeding 40 million. #ahca was fourth with 18+ million. #Healthcarereform and #healthcarebill were next, each with 4+ million and it drops off from there.
A number of the hashtags (#killthebill, #passthebill) will fall out of use once the #ahca legislative debate is over, while other monikers will likely have legs for some time to come.
So pick your hashtag and start posting or browsing.